Friday, June 03, 2005

Dating & Shadchunim Now vs Once upon a time

I recently attended a Sasson V'Simcha seminar of "The art of Matchmaking and Mentoring" presented by Rosie Einhorn, L.C.S.W., and Sherry Zimmerman, Esq. .

With all the knowledge and experience I have had, I found it to be immensely focused, educational, and up to date. My personal opinion is, any Shadchun or Mentor who does not attend such a seminar or equivalent (if there is one), is spinning their wheels at best, and who knows if they are not doing more harm than good.

There is no doubt that what the expectations and demands from Shadchunim and future spouses of even 5 years ago were and what they are today is like night and day.

The reasons are too many to post all at once, but I do hope to cover them, G"W, in the coming weeks.

One thing that stood out the most was the positive attitude needed, that they kept on emphasizing. You cannot blame anybody, and everyone needs education and chizuk (encouragement).

There are many good things going on in this shadcunim world, and my dream, even with all the great odds mounting, seems to be getting more colorful.

No comments: