Friday, June 24, 2005

What is the purpose of marriage?

I do want to get into the question of "what is the purpose of life?” What I have found, though, is that we have to ponder other fundamental questions before we ponder the BIG question.

Over the years I have asked people, what are the TOP 3 reasons to get married? I was quite amazed that very few actually had an answer. From those that did answer, it totaled close to some 20 different reasons.

People who were already married I asked the same question, but I asked them what they were thinking before marriage and what are they thinking now since that have experienced marriage.

When I coach couples to be able to communicate and to understand how the other side thinks I would usually ask them to complete a list of the 10 items in the poll (plus some ) and then I would show them each the other’s answer and where the compare and differ. Most couples were quite surprised how in the dark they had been.

What I find today more than anytime in the history and existence of this creation that in this country the options and reasons are almost non-existent.

Hope, G"W, to more actively blog about this.

Wishing all a more "purpose" Shabbos

2 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

This is true with having children as well.

Ask people, "why have childern?"

You'll generally get remarkably dumbfounded responses.

sawuatsinai said...

ft: ur very correct. i'm not up to that question yet. : )

what other questions do u find are as intriguing?

and what are your answers to your and this question?

: )