Friday, April 21, 2006

"We've only just met and already you're asking for things."

FOR ALMOST A YEAR I'd been commuting at rush hour on the busiest part of the New Jersey Turnpike. After doing battle with aggressive drivers and bumper-to-bumper congestion, I longed for human contact by the time I reached the toll booths at my exit. At first I'd tried to coax a nod or grin from the toll collectors with a cheerful "Good morning," but I rarely got a response and finally gave up. Then one day, my faith in the indomitable human spirit was restored. In response to my usual, "Receipt, please," the attendant deadpanned, "We've only just met and already you're asking for things."

--Contributed to "All In a Day's Work" by Rosemarie Noone


Why do we think that all or most of our expectations will be met by our "better half"? Is it because we had parents that spoiled us or the opposite?

Is it any wonder when we consume all the negative stories of relationships that we give up on marriage?

What about all these unrealistic romantic stories that get consumed for entertainment and all of a sudden it becomes expectations?

IMHO no romantic novels and or movies and etc., should be able to be had without a prescription, just like medical prescriptions!!!

No comments: